10.03.2012

social media, grief, and letting go...





It's taken me 4 months, 1 week, and 5 days to do it....

I finally changed my Facebook status to 'married to Steve Cunningham' instead of 'married to Jeremy King'. 

I realize that this was well overdue. I also realize in most circumstances, this probably would seem very strange, but for some reason, this was a very difficult change for me to make. Steve and I had talked about it many times - he didn't want to push me to do anything I wasn't ready to do, and I didn't feel right changing it OR leaving it the same. I even needed to make sure I ran it by Jer's mom first, to make sure she knew it was coming and to just hear that it was ok to feel so much stress about this silly little change.

The truth is, this was a new facet of grief I hadn't faced yet. And though it seems simple enough, it was hard for me to publicly admit that I am no longer Jeremy's wife (yes, I know I will always be his wife, but I can't be on FB anymore). I am so proud to be Steve's wife, but announcing that in a silly social network forum meant letting go in some weird way of Jeremy. It also meant that people looking for our story wouldn't easily find Jeremy on Facebook through me and visa versa. But knowing Steve had spent his previous marriage in a relationship with someone who didn't even want to acknowledge him, I knew it was important for Steve to understand how much I adore him and how honored I am to be his wife. And Facebook won't let me be married to them both (I know, the nerve!)

Sometimes I really hate letting go. But as Taryn so beautifully stated in her earlier post this week, "it isn't this horrible phrase consisting of forgetting those you love more than yourself...it allows you to love them even more and grasp the immense amount of love still out there " 

I am here today because of the love Jeremy taught me, and I get the privilege of paying that fierce love forward in my relationship with Steve. So, I continue to love Jeremy more while grasping the immense love I have now. That is a decision I feel good about.

And I can't help but wonder if grief before social networks was a little less complicated...

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

I feel for you...so much letting go...

Thank you for telling your story.

Erin said...

I find comfort in this .. because at this point .. I can't change my fb status to "single". Seems so permanent and I'm not ready to face that yet.

Paloma said...

I totally understand what you're saying... Could you maybe add a link to Jeremy's FB Profile on your "About Page" ... you can add links there (like your page/blog, etc... maybe you can add his profile) ... I think it's a great thing you are doing and a very brave one too... Steve is very blessed with your love and you're blessed with his... that is so awesome! Praise God it is that way... Hugs!

Heather (Live.Love.Laugh.) said...

Big step, thanks for sharing!

Vicki Lindsey said...

Great post, even though it's not dedicated to me yet. ;P LOL

For real, though, very proud of you! I know this is a big step. GOOD JOB!

Jennifer said...

I get it. I remember changing my status to "widow" It seemed so wrong! I'm newly engaged and while changing my status to "engaged" from "widowed" was wonderful....it felt strangely weird too. Just never thought I'd be doing this again

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails