2.26.2010

Budgeting with integrity

We have now completed 8 weeks of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University:


I have to tell you - I know there are a lot of people who hate this program. There are some people that are Nazi's about it. However, the concepts are simple they just don't come for free. You gotta work for it. I've learned that I've gotta work hard to undo the financial mess I've made. It sometimes means making commitments that friends and family don't agree with or appreciate, or not participating in certain things. But it's YOUR financial life, not theirs. Make the sacrifice now so you can really enjoy life later. As Dave says "Live like no one else, so later you can LIVE like no one else." That's so true.

Anyway, these past few months have been a struggle financially, to say the least. It is frustrating to be equip with all this new information and tools that we're so excited about implementing, and not actually having the means to do it. But little by little, we're working our way through it. At the very least, this course has given me the insight into doing extra things to earn/save money - I would have never made all the phone calls a few weeks ago, saving me almost $475 a month!

This past week's lesson was 'Buy Only Big, Big Bargains.' It was a great lesson, but there was something that really stuck with me. He quoted a book called 'Millionaire Mind' by Thomas Stanley which was a compilation of top 50 character qualities found in Millionaires and what they have in common. The #1 character quality that EVERY self-made millionaire shared was integrity. After interviewing family, friends, and employees they discovered that they possessed incredible amounts of integrity in every aspect of their lives.

How many times do we sell our integrity for the easy road? Do we return extra cash when our change is counted wrong? Do we mention something when we're not charged for something? Do we withhold information when we're trying to sell something? No matter the facet of our life we're talking about: spiritual, financial, family, friends, etc - Integrity ALWAYS pays off in the end.

Do you have any stories about Integrity? How has it paid off for you?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!!! I am not familiar with the finance program you are taking, but it seems to make sense. At the age of 52, I have seen so many of my peers go too far and declare bankruptcy -- actually more than once. I agree with "living with integrity". I also think that instant gratification is something we've gotten very accustomed to, and that needs to change, as well. It simply comes down to doing what's right. If you can't afford it, don't buy it! Perhaps there's more to it than that, but that's what I've always strived for.

Love My Country Home said...

I have heard so many great things about Dave Ramsey. I have never been to a class, but my husband and I have one of his books - I'm thinking we need to open it. Keep doing the things you are doing and you know the rewards you will reap in the end.

Have a wonderful weekend :)

Laura said...

I've really been thinking about doing this...now I think I really need to stop thinking and do it...

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the program either...I'll have to check it out. Stopping by from SITS! Happy Saturday. :)

Mandy P said...

Wow! We could be sisters...long lost cousins at least! I feel like some of your posts could be MINE! LOVE Dave Ramsey! I devoured his books along with Larry Burkett (may have spelled his name wrong) and others to figure out a way to dig ourselves out of the miserable debt we were drowning in...notice I used the past tense of the word...we are in SUCH a better place now about 2 years later. Not perfect, but we can breathe again. It takes patience (of which I have so little) perserverence and humility. Making those calls to turn things off/set up payments/admit that there is a debt problem is HUGE! I so hope you start feeling the peace and relief from your determinatation and obedience to God's Word. I willpray for you and your family as I think of you!! =( I'm also a new follower!

~Mandy

Jessica McCoy said...

Congrats on sticking with the program even through the hard times!!! I need to get my mind back on track and continue to grocery shop within my budget, cut coupons, and look for bargains.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails