7.19.2012

Grief and Injustice


Today should be my 9th wedding anniversary with Jeremy.



Instead of spending that day in memory of him, I have to sort through issues concerning someone who has hurt a lot of other people in their path with their selfishness and manipulation. While I didn’t actually have a ‘to-do’ list for today, I can tell you this wasn’t on it.

But what I’ve noticed about grief and injustice is that they elevate each other, and can sometimes come together is a not-so-pretty package. This injustice I have to deal with is magnified because life doesn’t get put on hold for my grief. Not only is this unjust, but it’s injustice on a day that I should get to take a break?!? How dare life work that way. Life keeps pushing forward even though Jeremy should be here. I held my breath when Jeremy died and waited for the rest of the world to do the same. But it didn’t. I was devastated.

And because I was in grief, everything felt unjust: The way Jeremy died, the timing of his death, the situation I was left in, other families getting to enjoy each other while I had to suffer, fathers getting to hold their babies, old people holding hands – when would the injustice end? Every corner I turned, someone had something that I lost.

If Jeremy taught me anything in 7 ½ years of marriage, it was to love fiercely. The world doesn’t revolve around me or my needs and I should cherish every blessing I have the opportunity to be a part of. Even when the world is unjust and people get by with things they shouldn’t, or when people get to celebrate 9 years of marriage with their spouses when I never will with Jeremy – that doesn’t mean the world will stop. And it doesn’t mean I can’t be thankful I got to have at least that many years with an incredible man.

In the meantime, I will take the time I need to take today to think about Jeremy (not that I haven’t been every day anyway) and what my life with him meant to me. No amount of injustice can take that away. I will grieve, I will remember, I will be thankful, I will cherish those around me that I love, and I will pray for justice.

Happy Anniversary, my love.
I miss you dearly.


2 comments:

Jackie Gonzales said...

I'm sorry you don't have all day today to grieve, to remember, to celebrate what you had with Jeremy. Life seems so unfair sometimes...but every time I think that, I remember the words, "We may make our plans, but God has the last word." It doesn't mean the last word doesn't stink...but I find peace in knowing that there is a reason for everything that happens.

Take care today...and try to find a few minutes just for yourself where you can remember.

Anonymous said...

Veronica,
i am truly sorry for loses. I am happy, so happy you have found peace and love again, for you and your beautiful children. That being said, it has taken me a little over a year to end you a comment as i didn't know what to say or how to say it. I dated your brother Brian for a little while in high school. I was shocked when i heard about his death from a family friend. i was shocked and very angry with the news. i am truly sorry and wish for you to contact me so i can talk with you more. dena_lorenzo@yahoo.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails