5.21.2009

A true Michigander?

This past weekend, we got to take a break from choatic life to visit Jer's sister-in-law and family while Jeremy went on his annual fishing trip. (Which was great - I wished we lived closer to his family!) The trip there is basically a straight shot up 1-75 to Sault Ste. Marie. On our way there, we pass some of the most famous Michigan tourist attractions in the state, and it made me realize that in my 26 years of living in Michigan, I've never been to most of these places.

Is it strange to anyone else that I've lived in Michigan my entire life but I've never been to Frankenmuth? I've never shopped at Bronners? Never stopped at Sea Shell City in Cheboygan even though I've passed in more times than I can count? I've never been to Michigan
Adventures or even Mackinac Island! Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure I'm the worst Michigander ever.

On a lighter note, thought I'd share this fun 'You know you're from Michigan when..." Apparently, according to this, I AM a Michigander! (I only copied the ones that actually applied to me, and I didn't leave out many!)


  • You show people where you're from
    by pointing to a spot on 
    the back
    of your left hand
    . (Especially useful
    if you're from the Thumb or the
    Little Finger.)


  • The only place in the world can you
    experience all four seasons in one day.


  • You know what a 'party store' is.


  • You've never met any celebrities.


  • "Vacation" means going to Cedar Point.


  • At least one member of your family disowns you the week of the 
    Michigan / Michigan State game
    .


  • Your idea of a traffic jam is 40 cars waiting to pass an orange barrel.


  • Half the change in your pocket is Canadian....eh?


  • You drive 86 mph on the highway and pass on the right.


  • You know how to play (and pronounce) Euchre.


  • It's easy to get Vernor's ginger ale, Better Made chips, Sanders hot fudge sauce, and Faygo pop.


  • You know how to pronounce "Mackinac."


  • You've had to switch on the heat and the air conditioning in the same day.


  • You bake with SODA and drink POP.


  • The word "thumb" has geographical rather than anatomical significance.


  • You measure distance in minutes.


  • When giving directions, you refer to "A Michigan Left."


  • You know that Kalamazoo not only exists, but is only 100 miles fom Hell.


  • Your year has two seasons: Winter and Construction.


  • Home Depot on any Saturday is busier than toy stores at Christmas.


  • You know when it has rained because of the smell of worms.


  • You can see a car running in a parking lot with no one in it, no matter what time of the year.


  • You end your sentences with a preposition; example: "Where's my coat at?"


  • You carry jumper cables and snow chains in your trunk.


  • You design your kids' Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.


  • Driving in the winter is better because the pot-holes are filled with snow.


  • Your favorite holidays are Christmas,Thanksgiving, and the opening of Deer Season, which  you consider a National Holiday.


  • You have 10 favorite recipes for venison.


  • Shoveling the driveway constitutes a great upper body workout. 


  • The "Big Three" means either Ford, Chrysler and GM, or Little Caesar's,Domino's, or Hungry Howie's.


  • You have experienced frostbite and sunburn in the same week.

1 comment:

Katie said...

You definitely need to go to Mackinac Island. It's beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails