12.05.2012

Community matters



I write for a blog called Widow's Voice. It's devised of several widowed people, writing each day about our grief journeys. If you know anyone or God forbid ever find yourself in grief, I encourage you to go there. What I love about it is that it's a group of people who understand that community matters. We're witness to the value of finding someone, anyone, to remind us that we are not alone. That's why most of us are there.

But this week, I've been struck by watching the rest of the world be reminded of how vital community is. Watching everyone anxiously reach out in their hurt and confusion over the sudden loss of life too young. And now everyone who loved Amy's husband, Jim, is searching for answers.
Searching for comfort.
Searching for peace.
Searching for community.

Two days ago, I announced that I was donating my blog earnings from the month of December to help ease the financial burden for Amy. Now, on a monthly basis, I make very little from this blog, maybe enough to go out to dinner - but when a community comes together, it's amazing what can be done. I won't know the final count from page impressions til the end of the month, but I can tell you that my blog went from an average of 700 page views to 11,000 page views overnight!!! And just in Paypal donations, we have raised over $3,500.00!!! And that's just in two days. Imagine the blessing we could be to Amy by the end of the month.

I watched my Facebook feed blow up to share and donate to Amy. The response is outstanding and overwhelming. Good people are still out there, and when they hurt, we all hurt. It's a reminder that we're not supposed to walk through life alone, but in community. I'm amazed at the community that has come together to help my sweet friend. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I will try to keep you updated along the way a few more times this month. But please, KEEP CLICKING. KEEP SHARING. KEEP DONATING. You are making an incredible difference!

Thank you all for reminding me that community matters.


10 comments:

Jamie P said...

I am in awe. This is truly amazing. Seeing the word spread and friends of friends of friends posting and sharing and clicking is swelling my heavy heart. I have been at a loss for how to comfort my dear friend, other than prayers and love and hugs. Doing this makes me feel like I can do something, really do something. Bless you for doing this.

Anonymous said...

Pennies on a Platter did this for you. I think it is awesome that since you have an opportunity to do the same, you are. May God continue to bless you and your family.

Alison said...

THAT is amazing! So so cool Veronica...you are the driving force behind this community, and we will all continue to follow you:) xo

Terri said...

Thank you for doing this. Jim was a college friend of mine and one of the nicest people I've ever met.

One thought I love in times like these: "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." ~ Dr. Seuss

And also John 14:1-3: "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."

glenda said...

Amazing. Praying for your friend. Peace & comfort.

Wanda said...

That is so amazing! Thank you for rallying everyone around Amy!

Marla said...

I thank you **so** much for doing this. Jim was a blessing to every life he touched.

Anonymous said...

I remember clicking through like a maniac when the Pennies on a Platter did the same kind of mission to raise funds for your family, so I think it's very respectable that you are paying it forward for Amy in this difficult situation. I hope that a lot of money is raised... and I'm sure there are many more donations heading to the church to support her as well. Community is HUGE. It reminds us that we're not alone in this world, and is another constant reminder that we must look outside of ourselves and focus on others.

Anonymous said...

This is a very inspiring and comforting thing to do. I wish there had been a site like this to turn to when I lost someone very dear, also, years ago. God bless your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Any updates for us? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails